The hiring process is expensive, so most companies look to hire for the long term. Your ability to obtain an H1B visa will make you more desirable to an organization. Some employers sponsor international employees, while others do not. Some large companies (outside of those connected to defense) and universities only hire the best candidates, regardless of nationality--and many have no restriction on the number of H1B visas they may sponsor. Smaller companies may not be familiar with the hiring rules/regulations for those with visas. As a rule, positions within the US government, many national labs, and security/defense organizations require US citizenship or permanent residency. Postings within state or local governments may be open to hiring international candidates. We recommend that international graduate students use the resources below in combination with other networking activities to identify potential positions. In addition, the Graduate Career Services office supports students by identifying employers in the United States who have historically hired international professionals.
Campus and Alumni Support
Notre Dame International Student and Scholar Affairs (ISSA): Whether you require assistance with visa paperwork, or have questions about housing, or want to meet other students with similar backgrounds, or your spouse would like to enroll in English as a Second Language classes, we are here to serve you
- Appointments (Walk-In and Scheduled)
- Events - Ex. Immigration and Employment Options for Graduate Students, Researchers, and Postdocs (recording from 11/5/20)
- F1 & J1 Employment
- Notre Dame Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures: English for Academic Purposes - Facilitating International Student Success through English Language Instruction
- Notre Dame Alumni Clubs (scroll down)
- Career Development for International Students: Guide written in conjunction with University of Notre Dame International Student and Scholar Affairs (ISSA)
- ♣ Interstride: Our newest and leading resource for job postings, visa information, country insights, and more for international students seeking jobs in the US and anyone looking to work abroad.
- ♣ GoinGlobal: Global career intelligence, including career guides, jobs & internships, visa information, and employer directory
- MyVisaJobs.com: Job postings and information about obtaining a U.S. work visa. Create a profile, upload a resume, explore the employer database and more
- Work Visa USA: MyVisaJobs.com blog featuring career/work topics of special interest to international students
- H1Base: USA Immigration, Work Visa, and Employment Solutions
- USCIS.gov: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- US Department of State: Bureau of Consular Affairs
- Europass - Opening doors to learning and working in Europe
- Jooble - Scroll down for international job boards to search jobs in 71 countries. Use keyword searches to refine results.
- H1Bdata.info - Database of H1B salaries data disclosed to the United States Department of Labor, searchable by company, job title, and location.