A SUCCESSFUL START with the career development process involves finding time to assess goals and interests and investigate options through Career Exploration, build and prepare materials for the Application Process, and commit to and implement a targeted job Search that will lead to securing Interviews and offers.
Developing a proactive, individual development plan (IDP) during your time at Notre Dame and beyond will allow you to search for and secure career opportunities that best match your unique values, interests, personality, skills, needs, and goals. You are not alone in this process. Graduate Career Services, along with campus and community partners, are here to support you every step of the way. You Matter, Your Research Matters, Be a Force for Good!
- View some of our "Student Success Stories"
Meet with a Career Consultant
- Our Team: Dedicated "Career Consultants" serve as liaisons to the Arts & Letters, Sciences, Engineering, and Professional Masters Programs (ESTEEM) to serve students in a variety of capacities to help them develop and reach their career goals. Your consultant has specialized expertise and works individually with students to attain career goals through strategic processes and professional best practices.
- Our Process (1-1 Appointments): Through active listening, our Consultants take time to learn your unique story to create a tailored experience that focuses on resources and strategies to develop concrete action steps. Career consulting is a working relationship; you will be guided to think strategically, to work collaboratively, and to develop professionally. We'll seek to understand your current situation and offer one-on-one help rather than a one size fits all approach.
- Scheduling: Find a time that fits your calendar by utilizing our online scheduling system "Handshake". Feel free to email your Consultant with your availability if you are unable to find a time.
Career Resources to Prepare for an Appointment:
- Process of an Appointment - LACE (Listen to Understand, Ask powerful questions, Challenge and support with feedback, Establish next steps and accountability)
- Career Questions to help you reflect (Additional - Sample Questions, Big Questions, Powerful Questions)
Build Your Campus Support Team
- Graduate Training: Workshops and events of particular interest to graduate students. To view and register for upcoming sessions, please check the event page on a regular basis. If you have suggestions for events, speakers, workshops or other feedback — or would like to announce your receipt of an external grant or fellowship — please contact the Professional Development team at email@example.com
- Office of Grants and Fellowships: Search for opportunities and connect for application support
- Shared Expectations: Initiative that includes strategies and a conversation guide to developing a healthy relationship with faculty mentors and advisors
ADDITIONAL CAMPUS PARTNERS:
- Centers and Institutes: Get involved with campus offices and departments to gain valuable leadership experiences
- Event Calendars Across Campus
Dual Career Search Resources
GRADUATE CAREER SERVICES - Most resources will be available to spouses and significant others. You can use your Notre Dame student credentials to log in to all other resources (often marked with a ♣)
- Notre Dame Staff Job Board
- Graduate Student Life Family Support
- IDEA Center - New Venture Competition (open to the public) - IDEA Week
South Bend Regional Chamber
- Kate Lee (Executive Director, Education & Workforce) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talent Portal
- Regional Job Board
- South Bend Young Professionals Network
- Business Directory
- South Bend-Elkhart Regional Partnership
- City of South Bend Careers
- Work One Northern Indiana
- Next Level Jobs Indiana
St. Joseph County Public Library System - Workshops, online learning and more!
- "Bendable" - A community-based lifelong learning system. It allows residents of all ages and backgrounds to easily acquire new knowledge and skills through online courses as well as in-person learning opportunities. Bendable promises to forge a “city of lifelong learning,” making South Bend more resilient in the face of a fast-changing economy.
Resources to Consider During Covid-19
Make sure to check out our career resources during Covid-19 page for up-to-date strategies to consider during this unique time. This page includes hiring trends, job search considerations, and much more!