In addition to networking and building connections, utilizing targeted JOB BOARDS can be key to a successful search. There are multiple types of sites that serve different functions for different audiences, so make sure to take the time to analyze which sites could work the best for you. These resources can be stand-alone job listings, be a part of a professional organization or employer, or be one of many functions within a website such as LinkedIn or IrishCompass.
Whatever the case, try to take advantage of the full features of a site such as making your CV/resume public and setting up job email alerts based on your preferences. Several types of job boards are listed below. Listings do not imply endorsement by the University of Notre Dame nor Graduate Career Services. The resources are provided as potential information sources only.
Unique to Notre Dame
*ND login required
- ♣ Handshake: Job and internship postings from employers looking to hire Notre Dame students
- ♣ IrishCompass: Job board specific to graduate-level students with information on who posted positions
- ♣ Hesburgh Library Career Resources: Internships and Jobs Page
Discipline and Industry-Specific
- Higher Education Examples: Higheredjobs.com ; Higher Education Resource Consortium ; Chronicle Vitae
- Job Boards by Discipline
- Job Boards by Industry
- Professional Organizations: Many discipline-specific professional organizations host job boards for the exclusive use of their members (e.g. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). This is an excellent way to find targeted opportunities aligned with your interest and skill--an added benefit is that most associations have career resources such as document preparation tips, job search strategies, and negotiating techniques
- PhDs.org: Resource library for the strategic job search, from finding current openings to landing the interview
- ♣ "What Can I do With this Major?": Broad brush of information for career fields and occupations that categorizes professional organizations and job boards by area of study
Job Boards with Unique Features (ex. Networking, Employer Reviews)
- LinkedIn: Leverage the world’s largest professional network to connect with opportunity. Use LinkedIn Jobs to harness the power of your network and get hired. LinkedIn Jobs surfaces insights such as whom you know at a company, providing you an edge in your job search. LinkedIn also offers jobs in each of its Groups, which can only be seen by group members. As a graduate student at the University of Notre Dame, you will want to network with individuals who align with your education, experience, and discipline. Seek out ND affiliated LI groups such as ND Alumni and discipline-specific groups like ND Engineers or ND Graduate Career Services to expand your online network and professional outreach.
- ♣ Vault Career Insider: Search thousands of new jobs and internships posted daily. Includes extensive information on career paths and industries including Vault career guides.
- ♣ Career Shift: Search, store & record every job listing at every job board & company with job postings. Also includes functions to find employers and contacts
- Glassdoor: Repository of career/job information including preparing for interviews, comparing salaries, and researching companies. Using this student-specific link and your ND email, you will have unlimited access to career resources (such as company information, salary information, and typical interview questions) without having to create an account or submit content and personal information.
Most employers and organizations have a "Career Opportunity" tab to promote themselves as "a great place to work" and specific positions they are seeking to fill. The majority invite you to apply directly online. You can search for employers based on your preferences through a variety of directories listed below or discover postings that have been indexed from employer websites through resources such as LinkUp:
- ♣ Reference USA: Search for over 53 million organizations in every industry based on a variety of in-depth criteria. Search by specific codes such as SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) and NAICS (North American Industry Classification System)
- ♣ Career Shift: Discover employers and contact information of employees in every industry
- LinkedIn: One of the most comprehensive career tools available. The site allows users to search for employers and organizations in any industry across the globe while viewing employees, alumni and discovering how people are connected
- Carnegie Classification System: United States higher education directory that allows users to search for schools based on a variety of criteria such as research activity, size, culture, location and more
- ♣ Guidestar: Non-profit focused directory that allows users to search by location, cause area (NTEE - National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities) and more
- ♣ Going Global: Employers across the globe, including those willing to hire international students
- ♣ Uniworld: "Who operates where" throughout the world. Easy searching in two separate databases: American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries and Foreign Firms Operating in the United States. Excel downloads featuring contact information, number of employees, annual sales, and basic product descriptions
- Buzzfile: Find employers based on area of study and industry
Search local, regional, statewide, national or global opportunities:
- ♣ Going Global: Customized job search database updated daily containing 16 million+ employment listings that can be searched in both English and the local language. Exclusive H1B Plus database provides millions of visa application listings for American employers seeking to hire international talent in the United States
- International Jobs: U.S. Department of State list of international job boards and opportunities
- Geneva Jobs: Network for International Development, Health, Aid, Environment Jobs and Consultancies in Switzerland and Europe.
- Global Jobs: NGOs, Think Tanks, Government and Private Sector opportunities for global professionals
- Local and State Examples: South Bend Chamber of Commerce ; Pure MI Talent Connect ; Work for Indiana
- Insight Into Diversity (Formerly the Affirmative Action Register): National magazine and premier source of information for one million readers monthly seeking in-depth news, reports and commentary on issues surrounding all aspects of diversity and inclusion. Highly regarded for its extensive career opportunity listings, INSIGHT Into Diversity continues to successfully connect employers to the most highly qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation
- Minority Postdoc: Postdoctoral & professional job/opportunity advertisements for all employment sectors: academia, industry, government, non-profits
Large Search Engine Job Posting Sites
- Simply Hired: One search, millions of jobs
- Indeed: Search millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career
- Career Builder: The most trusted source for job opportunities & advice
- Zip Recruiter: Recruiters can post to this site along with the most trafficked job boards online in one click
- List of Resources
- State of Remote Work: Comprehensive global report on the state of affairs (pre-COVID-19)