From the Director
Lean In With Larry
Larry Westfall, Director Graduate Career Services
"The most important agreements are the ones you made with yourself"~Don Miguel Ruiz~
In his book, The Four Agreements - A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, Don Miguel Ruiz has set forth a model of self-improvement that not only reveals the ancient Aztec wisdom of Toltec but also challenges us to establish ways to better our lives.
The Four Agreements are:
- Be impeccable with your word
- Don’t take anything personally
- Don’t make assumptions
- Always do your best
I shared this book several years ago with a team that I was managing. It helped in establishing an explicit contract among the team members in how we would show up and support each other. I recently took the book off my shelf to refresh my thinking on the topic and to take stock of where I am on my life journey. How might you incorporate the four agreements into your daily life and bring about positive change? It's a wonderful opportunity and a great challenge as well.
Here are a few items that came across my desk this week that I wanted to share...
LinkedIn Workforce Report Published
- The LI Workforce Report is a monthly report on employment trends in the US workforce. If you're considering your career options and which cities need your skills the most, you'll want to check it out and be informed.
Top Chicago Startups
- Speaking of needed skills and where the hiring is occurring, check out this listing of the top 17 Chicago startups to watch in 2017. You may just find your dream job and company only a few hours away.
Intelligence Community Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- The IC postdoctoral research fellowship program offers scientists and engineers unique opportunities to conduct research in a wide range of topics relevant to the intelligence community. To learn more and apply click here.
Savanah River National Lab Postdoctoral Opportunity
- The SRNL Postgraduate Research Associates program is searching for Nuclear Measurements Postdocs. To learn more and apply click here.
Office of Science Advisor Strategic Coordinator
- The EPA Environmental Research and Business Support Program has an immediate opening for an EPA Office of the Science Advisor Strategic Coordinator with the Office of Research and Development at the EPA facility in Washington, DC. To learn more and apply click here.
American Girl Researcher
- A foundation of thorough research underlies the company's content, product, and experiences, and is integral to maintaining and protecting American Girl’s premium status, point of difference, and valuable brand identity. To learn more and apply, click here.
Newberry Mellon Major Projects Fellow
- The Newberry Mellon Major Projects Fellow will participate in the planning and preparation for the library’s major scholarly initiative framed to respond to the question What is the Midwest? The initiative will include gallery and online exhibitions, additional digital resources, and programs for scholars, students, and the public. To learn more, click here.
Go IRISH Job Opportunities
- More jobs have been posted to Go IRISH. Don't miss out. Set up a reminder to get job feeds that meet your degree and qualifications.
Mark your calendar:
- Life Science, Engineering, and Data Analytics Graduate Students! If you're contemplating the biotech industry, then you'll not want to miss this exciting information session being presented by Jim Iacoponi, Sr VP Amyris, Inc. on in Jordan Hall Reading Room from . RSVP in Go IRISH at Events > Information Sessions > Amyris by .
- Shaheen 3MT Final Competition is set for beginning at in Jordan Auditorium in the Mendoza College of Business. Come cheer on your fellow grad students, vote for People's Choice and learn more about all of the great research taking place here at ND!
Until next time, always remain #IrishReady!
Director's Log: 3/21/17